- "For the past eighty years I have started each day in the same manner ... I go to the piano, and I play preludes and fugues of Bach. ... It is a sort of benediction on the house."
- "Of course, I continue to play and to practice. I think I would do so if I lived for another hundred years."
- "Martita (his wife) is the marvel of my world, and each day I find some new wonder in her."
- "The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?"
- "We ought to think that we are one of the leaves of a tree, and the tree is all humanity. We cannot live without the others, without the tree."
- "Man has made many machines, complex and cunning, but which of them indeed rivals the workings of his heart?"
- "You must work - we must all work to make the world worthy of its children."
- "The first thing to do in life is to do with purpose what one purposes to do."
- "I am perhaps the oldest musician in the world. I am an old man but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life, and to say things to the world that are true."
- "Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness. If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most. It is not complicated but it takes courage. It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it."
- "Each second we live is a new and unique moment of the universe, a moment that will never be again And what do we teach our children? We teach them that two and two make four, and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them what they are?
We should say to each of them: Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In all the years that have passed, there has never been another child like you. Your legs, your arms, your clever fingers, the way you move.
You may become a Shakespeare, a Michaelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for anything. Yes, you are a marvel. And when you grow up, can you then harm another who is, like you, a marvel?"
- "You must work, we must all work, to make the world worthy of its children."
- "The main thing in life is not to be afraid of being human."
- "Each week I receive from Barcelona a package full of clippings from different magazines and newspapers."
- “I am a very simple man. I am a man first, an artist second. My first obligation is to the welfare of my fellow man. I will endeavour to meet this obligation through music, since it transcends language, politics and national boundaries.” Casals
|Download and share|
“Pau Casals is a very great artist. What I admire is the firm stand he has taken not only against the oppressors of his countrymen, but also against those opportunists who are always ready to compromise with the Devil. He perceives clearly that the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it.” – Albert Einstein
“He is a great musician in all he does: a cellist without equal, and extraordinary conductor and composer with something to say. I have been profoundly impressed by all I have heard of his work, but he is a musician of this stature because he is also a great man.” – Albert Schweitzer
"His playing . . . is one of those rare things that may only come once in a lifetime and even not in one person's life, it may be centuries before there is anyone like that again. He is a funny little fellow only about 30 and plays with his eyes shut practically the whole time, every note every pause and tone colour is reflected in his face and to hear him again, to draw the bow across is a revelation.
W.J. Turner (1913), music critic
Help Catalonia is an association that receives no subsidies whatsoever from the Spanish state, the Catalan government or indeed any other organisation. We, the people who work in this project, do so on a voluntary basis and for no financial gain whatsoever.
If you like the task we are performing and would like to help us carry on our undertaking you may make a donation through bank account No. IBAN ES69 0049 4751 4421 9506 0811 .