15th-17th Century: Discrimination of the Catalan language in the Modern ages
- 1482 –The Inquisition begins the systematic burning of the Valencian Bible, the first Bible printed in the Catalan language. The destruction was so complete that for centuries this Bible’s existence was doubted – until an excerpt was found in the 1800’s.
- 1560- The Inquisiton insists that everything to do with religion must be done in the Spanish language.
- 1561 -The Inquisition forced printers to stop writing the Bible in Catalan.
17th century (s. XVII)
- 1661- Louise XIV of France taught grammar classes at the University of Perpignan Via Domitia to the Society of Jesus. Using these classes, the French language was introduced amongst the nobility, clergy and bourgeoisie.
- 1624 -In the report of the Count-Duke of Olivares to Philip V of Spain it's said that he “has to work and think with society and secret advice to reduce the Kingdoms in which Spain is composed to leave them in the style and laws of Castille without difference”
- 1672- Bylaw to promote schools in French language.
- 1682- Bylaw that requires Roussilions to use French to obtain civil servancies and honorary titles. The law gives them six months to learn it.
- 1683- The Roussilions were banned from studying in the Principality of Catalonia.
|Caption:"Two old priests showing the application of torture under the supervision of the Inquisition"|